Have a sweet tooth? Options DO abound for the Low Carb Eater when that sweet tooth arises. Sugar Free Sweeteners have made a big impact on the Low Carb Market over the last 2 years and have provided us with many different options for us to make our own treats or purchase some amazing products! Here are a few of my favorite Sugar Alternatives and products that do not have Sugar, but still are a great treat!
1. Stevia is a sweetener derived from the leaves of the plant, Stevia Rebaudiana. It is calorie free and can be 30-150x the sweetness of Sugar. Stevia is shown to improve insulin sensitivity and immune function.
2. Erythritol is a sugar alcohol that does not affect blood sugar levels. It is fermented from yeast and is found naturally in some foods, such as molasses.
3. Monk Fruit Extract is a sweetener derived literally from the Monk Fruit or Luo Han Guo. Monk Fruit Extract is calorie free and can be 100-250x as sweet as Sugar.
4. Sucralose is an artificial sweetener that does not significantly elevate blood sugar levels. In moderation, it is safe to use. In high amounts, it can affect the gut.
5. Truvia is a brand that makes Stevia based sweetener options. Watch out for the labeling on this product. Some of their products are straight Stevia, while others are a mix of Stevia and straight Sugar.
6. Allulose is a natural sweetener found in Figs, Raisins, and Jackfruit. It is nearly calorie free and does not spike blood sugar. Labeling can be confusing on products sweetened with Allulose as it will read as a carb and sugar on the Nutrition Facts, but it is not processed in the body like a carb and sugar would.
7. Xylitol is a natural sweetener found in many plants, including Birchwood. Xylitol does not affect blood sugar levels and can be great for oral health and bone density. The draw back of Xylitol is that it can cause gastric distress and is deadly to dogs, so be careful with your fur babies at home.
Sugar Free Products 1. Sugar Free Jello: I love to whip this up for a snack or dessert! You could make this even more keto friendly by adding a few Tablespoons of canned Coconut Milk to the boiling water. 2. Lily's Chocolates: Lily's has so many varieties of Chocolate Bars that are all sweetened with Stevia. Some of their bars include Caramel, Almond, Sea Salt, Extra Dark and more. Lily's can be found at Vitamin Cottage, Sprouts, and City Market.
3. Quest Bars and Cookies: These products are great for a Low Carb, Protein Filled Snack! Both 970Muscle locations offer a wide variety of these products.
4. KNOW Chocolate Chips: Looking to bake and have great Sugar Free Chocolate Chips, then these are for you! 970Muscle carries this great product.
5. Bulletproof Ready-To-Drink Coffees: Sugar Free and filled with Grass Fed Butter and Brain Octane Oil (MCT Oil), these Coffees work great for on the go individuals for Breakfast or a mid day drink that provides long term fuel! 970Muscle carries Mocha, Vanilla, and Caramel flavors.
6. Enlightened Ice Cream: This can be a great alternative to regular Ice Cream, but be sure to read the label. Some of their flavors are sweetened with Erythritol only, while others include Sugar. Enlightened can be found at Sprouts and City Market.
7. Popsicles made out of MAN Sports ISO-Aminos: This is such a simple way to stay hydrated and still have a treat. Simply mix up Aminos with water, then freeze in popsicle dishes.
8. Skinny Syrups Sugar Free Coffee Syrups: Other brands are on the market, but this has been my favorite for mixing in Unsweetened Almond Milk in my morning latte. Skinny Syrups can be found at TJMaxx or online.
9. Legendary Nut Butters: These are amazing!! With flavors like Blueberry Cinnamon Bun, Apple Pie, Banana Chocolate Chip, it is hard to go wrong. 970Muscle carries all of the flavors.
Sugar in other products
Limiting sugar has become easier with the awesome products like the ones above, but one other aspect that should be discussed is sugar in other products. On our journey to better heath and fitness, we often think we are doing our best nutritionally by limiting carbs, buying 'so called health' foods, but one aspect that is often forgotten is reading food labels and making sure that Sugar is not listed at all in food products. As you navigate your way with products, I encourage you to not only look at the Nutrition Facts, but also the Ingredients List on a food label. If Sugar, Coconut Sugar, Brown Sugar, Agave Nectar, Honey, Corn Syrup, etc are listed in the Ingredient List, avoid the food. The other area that we need to be our own advocate in is with the 'so called health products'. Many health products and nutrition companies have sugar in their protein shakes and protein bars. This makes NO sense. Pay attention to this and then find companies that are in line with your goals, nutrition, etc. Some great lines that are committed to no sugar in their products are: Bulletproof, Quest Nutrition, MANSports, Primal Kitchens, Legendary Foods, KZ Clean Eating.
In closing, Sugar Alternative and Sugar Free Products are ever present today. Take time to set you and your family up for success and for health by being an advocate, reading labels, and finding options that not only taste great, but are great for your health.
Why not YOU? Why not NOW?